A light versatile first course, especially for grilled zucchini lovers. The fresher the ingredients, the better.
Involtini di Zucchine
- 4 Medium zucchini
- 2 tbs Olive oil
- 1 Medium egg
- 2 tbs Grated Parmesan
- 2 - 3 Tbs Breadcrumbs
- Handful chopped parsley (or fresh mint)
- 4 oz Tuna in oil
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Step 1 (1) Wash and dry the zucchini. Cut 3 zucchini lengthwise into 1/8 – 3/16 slices, then cube the fourth zucchini. Grill the slices, and fry the cubes with a spoon of oil and a pinch of salt. Let the cubed zucchini cool.
- Step 2 (2) Crush the cubes with a fork along with the tuna in oil. Add the egg, parmesan cheese,breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Add chopped parsley or mint to taste.
- Step 3 (3) Fill the grilled slices with a little filling, then form the roll and insert a tooth pick to secure. Place the zucchini rolls in a lightly greased baking dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Bake rolls at 400° for about 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
If you prefer, you can make these on skewers or with these different fillings (e.g., other cheeses, ham instead of tuna, etc.).