This recipe takes time and effort, but the combination of ingredients is worth it. There is a video in Italian that can help in the preparation.
Semifreddo Zabaione e Cioccolato con Mandorle
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 oz Marsala wine
- 1 3/4 oz Spumante wine
- 14 oz cream
- 4 oz peeled almonds
- 2 tsp Knox gelatin
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE
- 5 oz dark chocolate
- 1 3/4 oz milk
- Step 1 Roast almonds in the oven at 350° degrees for about 20 to 30 minutes, until slightly golden. Let them cool and then roughly crumble in a food chopper or processor.
- Step 2 Sprinkle 1 tsp of gelatin on the cream, stir until thoroughly mixed then store it in the fridge.
- Step 3 In a mixing bowl make the zabaione by stirring with a whisk (or use a an electric hand beater), six yolks with sugar. When it is smooth and creamy, add Marsala and sparkling wine, mixing until they are well blended.
- Step 4 Place the mixing bowl into a double boiler, large enough to hold it, with very hot water, but not boiling. The pot must not touch the water, the hot steam will be enough to “bake” the zabaglione mixture. Keep stirring for seven to eight minutes until it is smooth and thick.
- Step 5 Remove the bowl from the double boiler, continuing to stir while adding 1 tsp of gelatin. Place the pot in a container with cold-water and continue to mix gently with a whisk until the mixture is cold.
- Step 6 When the mixture has cooled, add half the whipped cream and incorporate it into zabaione with delicate upward movements. Then add the remaining cream and mix until thoroughly blended.
- Step 7 Take a silicone (or aluminum) bread baking-pan (10” by 4”) and distribute half the toasted almonds. Then pour half the mixture, the rest of the toasted almonds and finish with a last layer of mixture. Cover tightly with the CLING cling wrap and put in a freezer for at least four hours.
- Step 8 In a pan, over low heat, melt the dark chocolate, stirring constantly until melted, then add milk while continuing to stir. Remove Zabaione from freezer, cut into serving size and place on plate. Drizzle chocolate over it.
Video guide – in Italian, but helps with preparation.